Re: [AUCTeX] Logo for AUCTeX: request for ideas

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Logo for AUCTeX: request for ideas
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2016 13:34:39 +0100

Mosè Giordano <address@hidden> writes:

>> What do you think about develop a logo with a bit movement?
>
> Do you mean an animated logo?  If so, it can't be a GIF, see
> https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/gif.html

Which starts with

    There is no special patent threat to GIF format nowadays as far as
    we know; the patents that were used to attack GIF have
    expired. Nonetheless, this article will remain pertinent as long as
    programs can be forbidden by patents, since the same sorts of things
    could happen in any area of computing. See our web site policies
    regarding GIFs, and our web guidelines.

which leads to

    In the past, GIFs have had patent problems. However, now that the
    IBM and Unisys patents (and other patents world-wide that are
    relevant to LZW compression) have expired, GIFs that are based on
    the 87a or 89a standard are acceptable. Please be wary of
    proprietary applications that may include non-standard patented
    technologies (we'd prefer you use free software applications when
    authoring for our websites). In general, PNG or JPEG format, are
    still safe, and are probably better from a technical standpoint. For
    details regarding the old GIF problem, see
    http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/gif.html. Other formats are also
    allowed, though JPEG is the one most widely recognized by Web
    browsers (be careful with JPEG 2000, as well as PNG alpha channels,
    as it includes features not fully supported by older browsers).

That being said, I consider animated logos highly rude.  They distract
from the content.

--
David Kastrup