Re: [AUCTeX] Correct handling of left-to-right inside right-to-left para

From: Filipe Moreira
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Correct handling of left-to-right inside right-to-left paragraphs using Emacs and AUCTeX
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2016 15:17:30 +0000

Hi Mosè,

Thank you again for your help. I thought it was best to escalate the issue first with AUCTeX before reaching the Emacs developers. However, I will now post on their mailing list. I really appreciate your help.

Filipe

On Thu, Jan 21, 2016 at 2:32 PM, Mosè Giordano <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi Filipe,

> Hi everyone,
>
> I’m using AUCTeX to compose a document has English as its main language but that also has some Hebrew and Greek. The problem I have is with the way Emacs/AUCTeX interpret individual characters.
>
> While editing a Hebrew only paragraph, Emacs correctly sets the paragraph direction to RTL. However when adding a new character (e.g. the ‘\’ char) Emacs does not know how to treat it - LTR or RTL. So it decides to leave as it is, in this case RTL, and the LaTeX command is shown incorrectly on the screen.
>
> I have a screenshot with some sample code that explain the issue here: http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/288299/handling-left-to-right-inside-right-to-left-paragraphs-using-emacs-and-auctex.
>
> Is there a way to make Emacs know that the slash char, within AUCTeX mode, introduce a new command and should be treated as always LTR?

As I told you on http://emacs.stackexchange.com/q/19696/620,
(info "(emacs)Bidirectional Editing")
(https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/elisp/Bidirectional-Display.html)
suggests some methods to get bidirectional display right when you have
a paragraph with mixed scripts, but I can't make them work.

Anyway, this isn't limited to AUCTeX only, the mixed English-Hebrew
text is rendered wrongly also in fundamental-mode, so you may try to
ask for help on Emacs mailing list.

Bye,
Mosè