Re: [AUCTeX] TeX-next-error problems when using auctex-latexmk

From: Mosè Giordano
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] TeX-next-error problems when using auctex-latexmk
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2015 10:17:55 +0100

Hi Ivan,

>> On Dec 10, 2015, at 1:08 PM, Mosè Giordano <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Ista,

>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I'm using auctex-latexmk from
>>> https://github.com/tom-tan/auctex-latexmk. I'm not entirely sure if I
>>> should be reporting this here or there, but decided to try here first.
>>> If you think this is a bug that should be reported to auctex-latexmk
>>> instead please let me know.
>
> I thought LatexMk support was added to AUCTeX proper.  It seems like it
> shouldn’t be hard.  I could probably come up with a patch if desired,

Yes, adding an entry to `TeX-command-list' is easy, and I don't have
anything against including support for `latexmk' in AUCTeX, my only
concern is: how nicely does it play with error reporting?  We need a
proper sentinel that parses only the last *TeX run.

>though maybe auctex-latexmk should be incorporated.

Would be fine, but I didn't actually look at the code and we need
copyright assignment from every contributors to that package.  Is that
feasible?

>> I didn't try to reproduce the error by installing `auctex-latexmk'
>> because it's known that AUCTeX sometimes fails to parse the output log
>> and picks up supp-pdf.mkii as offending file for warnings/errors.
>> There are some works in progress trying to address this problem, but
>> I'm not sure they're really still in progress.
>
> In this case it looks like LatexMk isn’t using -file-line-error-style, which
> significantly improves AUCTeX’s ability to find the right line.  I was one of
> those people who tried to improve AUCTeX’s error recognition, but once I
> found out about -file-line-error-style, I stopped caring as much.  :-)

Yes, -file-line-error is definitely a great improvement but AUCTeX has
still some problems with warnings, I'm often brought to supp-pdf.mkii
when reviewing compilation log.

Bye,
Mosè