Re: [AUCTeX] Emacs + Python

From: Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Emacs + Python
Date: Thu, 09 Jul 2015 13:54:13 -0400

Hi Manuel!

Manuel González Suárez writes:

Above all, I am quite newbie, but I work with Emacs (LaTeX, ConTeXt, etc.) some years ago, and I want to know how I have to set to work with the Emacs python mode. I would like to write code and run it within Emacs itself. Do I have to install a package? What I have to write in my .emacs?

You do not need to install any extra package. Emacs (24.3 and above) comes with python-mode that has everything you might need.

You can read the commentary of the python mode to know everything you can do:

http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/tree/lisp/progmodes/python.el

The only thing that you might want to add to your .emacs, if you use ipython, is:

(setq python-shell-interpreter "ipython"
     python-shell-interpreter-args "-i")

That's it =)

From a python buffer (any file that ends in .py) you can run
python with C-c C-p and then switch to the python shell with C-c C-z. To run the code in a buffer use C-c C-c. Check more by reading the mode info with C-h m.

Best,
--
Jorge.