Re: [AUCTeX] Long loading time

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Long loading time
Date: Sat, 02 May 2015 22:04:54 +0200

Ken Brown <address@hidden> writes:

> On 5/2/2015 3:04 PM, David Kastrup wrote:
>> Mosè Giordano <address@hidden> writes:
>>> Are there notable corner cases (I don't know what may happen when
>>> running Emacs under Cygwin, for one)?
>>
>> Cygwin tends to have : as path separator and / as directory separator.
>> So if you are running a Cygwin Emacs with Mingw32 TeX or vice versa, you
>> don't get the paths to match.
>
> I don't think AUCTeX needs to go out of its way to support this case.

This case has been supported for a long time.  One would have to
actively remove code to make AUCTeX stop supporting this case.

> Users of Cygwin Emacs can simply use Cygwin's TeX, and vice versa.

And what if they are in charge of testing several TeX installations or
Emacsen?  Or if their work requires particular combinations?

Do we really know better than the users what they should want to be
using?

If you want to force some limitation unto your unsuspecting users, you
can easily preconfigure TeX-kpathsea-path-delimiter for them and have
them scratch their head until they find that option.

But I don't really believe that such steps command more loyalty.

--
David Kastrup