Re: [AUCTeX] OT: Have a look at PDF Tools (new PDF viewer for Emacs)

From: Mosè Giordano
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] OT: Have a look at PDF Tools (new PDF viewer for Emacs)
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2015 10:45:11 +0100

Hi Tassilo & Lars,

> Mosè Giordano <address@hidden> writes:
>> When using forward/backward search in TeXstudio with its embedded
>> viewer, you are direct to the exact word selected, not just the line.
>> I wonder if it's possible to implement such a feature also for AUCTeX
>> and pdf-tools.
>
> I just edebugged the relevant function `pdf-sync-correlate-tex', and it
> returns a list (file line column), so the answer is yes.  However,
> column is always -1.  I have the same with the Evince backward search.

I also did the same test and can't understand how TeXstudio can
achieve that level of precision.

> Maybe there's some SyncTeX setting you need to enable to make it record
> column numbers, too?

I don't have a clue, as far as I know SyncTeX only potentially
supports column numbers, but actually always return a
not-really-useful number, as you pointed out.

> Mosè, exactly which version of TeXStudio has the feature to direct you to the
> exact word?

I have TeXstudio 2.8.0, but this feature is mentioned already in
ChangeLog for version 2.3:
http://texstudio.sourceforge.net/manual/current/usermanual_en.html#SECTIONNEW23

Bye,
Mosè