Re: [AUCTeX] have AUCTeX insert the encoding as local variable specifica

From: Mosè Giordano
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] have AUCTeX insert the encoding as local variable specification
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2014 21:18:29 +0100

Hi Jean-Francois,

> So far, I don't know if there are TeX-devoted editors
> which parse the file to look for the inputenc parameter
> and adjust accordingly automatically the encoding.

Me neither, with one notable exception, see below.

> as far as I know, Emacs/AUCTeX does not do it.

Wrong!  latexenc package, shipped with GNU Emacs (don't know about
XEmacs), does exactly that.  Then, I don't see the need to store
coding as a local variable, at least for GNU Emacs users, since Emacs
already knows how to guess the correct one and other TeX editors use a
different syntax to specify the encoding, so they wouldn't take
advantage from us automatically storing the coding.

Bye,
Mosè