[AUCTeX] using auctex to print out crossword puzzles

From: Ed C.
Subject: [AUCTeX] using auctex to print out crossword puzzles
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2013 14:20:32 -0500

Hello:

Back when I used auctex, miktex, etc. more often I was able to re-scale
and print crosswords using something similar to this .tex file:

%%;; -*- coding: utf-8 -*-
%%;;  Time-stamp: "2013-10-25 14:01:19 me"

%%% Local Variables:
%%% mode: lat
%%% End:

 \documentclass[letterpaper, 11pt, latin]{article}
 \pagestyle{empty}
\usepackage[pdftex]{graphicx}
 %%\usepackage[utf8x]{inputenc}
%% \usepackage{babel}
\usepackage[landscape]{geometry}
 \pdfpageheight=8.5in
 \pdfpagewidth=11in

 \textheight=21.5cm
 \oddsidemargin=-200.10pt
 \evensidemargin=-50.0pt
 \topmargin=-40.1pt
 \headheight=0.1pt
 \headsep=0.1pt
 \topskip=0.1pt
 \footskip=0.1pt
 \marginparwidth=0.1pt
 \marginparsep=0.1pt
 \columnsep=0.1pt
%% \skip\footins=0.1pt

\begin{document}

%%\centerline
\includegraphics* {c:/users/me/Desktop/nyx.jpg}
\newpage
\includegraphics* {c:/users/me/Desktop/dax.jpg}
\end{document}

Since my laptop was stolen I haven't been able to reliably get the old
behavior back. I download the images from my paper's e-edition as .png
and then rotate, crop, and resize the images with paint or paintx, and
finally save the new image as .jpg.  Now the full path of the jpg file
is placed to the left of the image (landscape orientation) and no
combination of scales and offsets results in pdf pages showing all the
clues and the empty grid at a size to fill an 8.5 x 11 sheet. In duplex
printing I used to get 2 puzzles on a sheet (one on each side). I would
appreciate any suggestions. I think the commented out lines in the code
above is an artifact from some other code I had for another purpose.

Thanks,

Ed