Re: [AUCTeX] SyncTeX problems

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] SyncTeX problems
Date: Mon, 27 May 2013 15:23:39 +0200

Julien Cubizolles <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Julien,

> I recently switched to the git version of AucTeX and noticed that the
> default View command had changed to TeX-evince-sync-view. I gave it a
> try but couldn't get it to work. Here is what I tried:
>
> * C-c C-c choose LaTeX. A pdf file is produced.
> * C-c C-c choose View then TeX-evince-sync-view. Evince doesn't start.
>
> If I start evince manually, subsequent calls to TeX-evince-sync-view
> don't update the page in the pdf file

The communication between Evince and Emacs works over DBUS with
`TeX-evince-sync-view'.  During the time GNOME 3 was released, there
were several changes in its DBUS interface.  It seems you are using a
slightly outdated version of AUCTeX.  Could you please try the git
version?

That's as easy as

  $ git clone git://git.savannah.gnu.org/auctex.git
  $ cd auctex
  $ ./configure
  $ make

and placing

(setq TeX-data-directory "/home/horn/Repos/el/auctex/")
(add-to-list 'load-path "~/Repos/el/auctex/")
(load "auctex.el" nil t t)
(add-to-list 'load-path "~/Repos/el/auctex/preview/")
(load "preview-latex.el" nil t t)
(add-to-list 'Info-directory-list "~/Repos/el/auctex/doc")

;; below your usual AUCTeX configurations

into your .emacs.  Of course, you have to adapt the paths above to your
local auctex clone.

> and a Ctrl-left click in the pdf file gives the following error
> message in Emacs.
>
> apply: Wrong number of arguments: (lambda (file linecol) (let ((buf
> (get-buffer file)) (line (car linecol)) (col (cadr linecol))) (if (null
> buf) (message "Sorry, %s is not opened..." file) (switch-to-buffer buf)
> (goto-line (car linecol)) (if (= col -1) nil (move-to-column col))))), 3
> [2 times]

Earlier Evince versions up to 3.0.0 sent a DBUS signal with 2
parameters, versions starting with 3.0.0 send 3 parameters.  At least
the current AUCTeX git version handles both cases, but your version
seems to accept only two.

> Also I noticed that the default command line for LaTeX is "pdflatex
> -interaction=nonstopmode "\input" name_of_the_file.tex and doesn't
> include -synctex=1. Shouldn't it ?

You need to enable `TeX-source-correlate-mode'.

Bye,
Tassilo