Re: [AUCTeX] Text corruption

From: Axel E. Retif
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Text corruption
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2012 12:09:20 -0600

David,

On 12/19/2012 03:02 AM, David Kastrup wrote:

"Axel E. Retif" <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

what happened is that when I inserted a `\' in the middle of a theorem
environment (corollary), it changed \end{corollary} to
\end^?corollary};

{ is 0x7b, ^? is 0x7f.  Again, just bit 2 is flipped.  Do you see a
pattern?

Unfortunately, yes ---it seems to confirm your original diagnosis.

Also, I said in this thread that I hadn't seen text corruption in org
buffers, but in my notes I see that I had an `$' where there was a
space.

0x20 is space, 0x24 is $.  They differ by a single bit, bit 2.

[...]

Well, faulty memory or a virus or kernel damage or buggy driver focusing
on bit 2.  A bad peripheral is less likely: those would corrupt whole
bytes in unforeseen places.

As the kernel has been updated several times since the original one, and viruses don't seem likely on Linux, we're back again to memory modules.

Of course, I can't rule out Marco's suggestion of a faulty keyboard (I use my laptop with external monitor and keyboard), even without stuck keys.

Thank you all for your kind, patient and very helpful feedback!

Best

Axel