Re: [AUCTeX] installation problems for 24.2

From: Mandar Mitra
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] installation problems for 24.2
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2012 00:57:31 +0530

Tassilo Horn wrote (Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 09:48:53AM +0200):

> > (load "auctex.el" nil t t)
> > (load "preview-latex.el" nil t t)
> >
> > Without these two lines, I simply got the inbuilt(?) latex mode.
>
> I don't.  Finding some tex file shows LaTeX in the mode line.  `C-h v
> major-mode RET' says that `latex-mode' is active.  Checking that gives:

With either /usr/bin/emacs -q or -Q, the list of packages shows:

  auctex             11.86        installed  Integrated environment for *TeX*

On clicking auctex, the help buffer says:

auctex is an installed package.

And yet, after C-x f foo.tex and C-h m, I get

LaTeX mode:
Major mode for editing files of input for LaTeX.
Makes $ and } display the characters they match.

which is different from what I get with aucTeX latex mode.

I've got a non-elpa version of auctex working fine, so at the moment,
this is not a real problem, but I'm curious if anyone has any
suggestions about what I might be doing wrong.

On startup, I get a warning:

Warning: Lisp directory `/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp' does not exist.

but could this have anything to do with elpa?

Thanks,
Mandar.