Re: [AUCTeX] TeX-next-error broken for error messages without line numbe

From: Ivan Andrus
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] TeX-next-error broken for error messages without line number
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2012 22:22:17 +0100

On Mar 20, 2012, at 7:12 PM, Reiner Steib wrote:

>> [...]
>>
>> Really no one able to comment on this?
>
> I'm quite sure that (upstream) AUCTeX does not create a buffer named
> "Debian".

You might be surprised.  If the string "(Debian)" appears near the top
of the output then it would.  I can't check this since I don't have
Debian installed anywhere.  For me it's "TeX Live 2011" since that's
the first parenthesized string in my output.  This occurs on the first
line of output:

Running `LaTeX' on `test2' with ``pdflatex -file-line-error-style
-interaction=nonstopmode "\input" test2.tex''
This is pdfTeX, Version 3.1415926-2.3-1.40.12 (TeX Live 2011)

The reason the buffer "TeX Live 2011" is opened (for the benefit of
those for whom this is not obvious) is that AUCTeX thinks,
because of the parentheses, that latex is entering the file "TeX Live
2011".  AUCTeX ends up assuming the error is in this file since the
first file entered is kept around intentionally even when it would
otherwise popped off the stack of visited files.

I don't really see a way to fix 100% this since latex doesn't print
the error message as belonging to any file, but perhaps skipping the
"This is ...TeX ..." line, which contains "(TeX Live 2011)" and I
presume "(Debian)" as well, would mask the problem in 90+% of the
cases.

-Ivan