Re: [AUCTeX] Rolling auctex into emacs?

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Rolling auctex into emacs?
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2011 08:51:53 +0100

ivo welch <address@hidden> writes:

> I would like to upgrade emacs to version 23 or 24 on OSX.  there are
> some nice binary distributions.  Alas, I want to have different
> versions of emacs on my system.  (The 22 version was by zenitani, and
> had auctex compiled in.  He no longer updates these, though.)  so, I
> need to learn how to insert auctex into a precompiled emacs binary,
> which has its own directory distinct from the other emacs binary.
> sigh...

Emacs 24 has a package manager.  With that, you simply do

  M-x package-list-packages RET

to get a list of emacs packages including auctex.  Mark it with `i' for
install, then `x' for installing it.

> this raises an obvious question.  why is auctex not part of emacs at
> this point?

Because emacs requires all contributors to assign copyright to the FSF.
I think, there are still some people that have contributed to auctex in
the past that haven't assigned their copyright, yet.

Bye,
Tassilo