Re: [AUCTeX] automatically regenerating previews after editing?

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] automatically regenerating previews after editing?
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2011 16:55:55 +0100

* Tamas K. Papp (2011-03-09) writes:

> Is there a way to automatically regenerate previews when I am done
> editing the relevant source (ie when I leave the appropriate equation
> / figure / ... environment with the Emacs cursor).  Pressing C-c C-p
> C-p every time is a bit cumbersome.

AFAICS there is no functionality to let the preview be regenerated
automatically.

But if that's easier for you, you can click with mouse-2 on the icon at
the start of the opened preview instead or typing `C-c C-c C-p'.

I've looked a bit at the code and saw no obvious and quick way to
provide automatic regeneration.  If somebody is interested in
implementing it, you might want to look at functions like
`preview-check-changes' and especially `preview-move-point'.  In the
former previews are disabled upon a change of the source and this
inhibits them from being toggled in the latter function when point
leaves the previewed region.  Perhaps it would be enough to call
`preview-regenerate' in `preview-move-point' when this happens.  But
I've found no easy way to get hold of the overlay.  It's neither listed
in `preview-temporary-opened' nor in `preview-change-list'.