[AUCTeX] issues with preview latex / openSUSE 11.3

From: Dr. Ing. Dieter Jurzitza
Subject: [AUCTeX] issues with preview latex / openSUSE 11.3
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 16:51:00 +0200

Dear listmembers,
as Mr. Kastrup signalized that he's short of time I am trying my luck here -
once again. Since I switched to openSUSE 11.3 preview latex does not work any
more, if I am using the pdf-mode (!) of latex.

I get nothing but one-way road signs when trying to start preview for the
document. The following code-snipped may serve as an example:

\documentclass[12pt]{article}
\usepackage{german}
\usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\begin{document}
Dies ist ein Test, ob das mit Preview-{latex} vernünftig
funktioniert. Teilweise kann man sagen {\glqq}ja{\grqq}, teilweise kann man
sagen {\glqq}nein{\grqq}.
\begin{equation}
f_{Res}=\frac{1}{2\pi\sqrt{m_{M}F_{M}}}=\frac{\omega_{0}}{2\pi}
\end{equation}
\end{document}
%%% Local Variables:
%%% mode: latex
%%% TeX-master: t
%%% End:

(who's not familiar with German language - just don't care -nothing meaningful
inside :-)). Nevertheless I'd expect the preview of the equation to be shown.
As readily mentioned, what I get are one way road signs, the error message
stems from ghostscript. pdf2dsc is cleanly processed, from the error messages
I could extract the following problematic code segment:

gs -dOutputFile\=\(test.prv/pr1-2.png\) -dDELAYSAFER -q -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH \
-DNOPLATFONTS -dPrinted -dTextAlphaBits\=4 -dGraphicsAlphaBits\=4 \
-sDEVICE\=png16m -r108.085x108.17 \
-c \<\</PermitFileReading\[\(test.prv/preview.dsc\)\]\>\>\ setuserparams\
.locksafe

(I deleted the path-elements with tmpXXXXX for the sake of simplicity)

this code is generated by preview.el (or preview.elc, respectively), round
about line 1075.

Heiko Oberdiek told me, that this is not working for him as well, and that two
parameters would be missing. On one hand this would be a -f
test.prv/preview.dsc,, on the other hand there is a missing permission to read
"test.pdf" in the postscript code segment following "-c". According to him the
code sequence should look as follows:

\<\</PermitFileReading\[\(test.prv/preview.dsc\)\(test.pdf\)\]\>\>\
setuserparams\ .locksafe\

including this and -f test.prv/preview.dsc makes the sequence work on the
commandline. Unfortunately my lisp capabilities are not sufficient in order to
include the required modifications in preview.el on my own.

By the way, the ghostscript-version is 8.70 with several security fixes what
regards the read permission for files - I guess that this is the root cause
for the issue. I have been asking around at "dante", other users face the very
same issue with openSUSE 11.3.

Any way, many thanks for your efforts in advance,
take care

Dieter Jurzitza

                                \

if you really want to see the pictures above - use some font
with constant spacing like courier! :-)