Re: [AUCTeX] LaTeX/Auctex on Fedora 12

From: Joel J. Adamson
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] LaTeX/Auctex on Fedora 12
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 11:01:59 -0400

    > Am 17.04.2010 16:39, schrieb Simon ....:
    >> I'm also using Fedora 12 with emacs-auctex. Both emacs-auctex and
    >> texlive (version 2007) are available via yum.

    > 2007? latest TeXLive is 2009, which has an update manager, and
    > there have been quite some updates since 2009 was released...

Yeah I know: totally bogus!  JFK (just kidding) --- there is a lot that
goes into making packages via the default repo.

My solution, as I suggested to the OP was to

1) Remove all TeX related packages
2) Install the yum --downloadonly plugin:

# sudo yum install yum-plugin-downloadonly

and use that to download AUCTeX, and any other useful TeX packages from
Fedora; then install them with rpm.

3) Blacklist the Fedora TeX-packages by adding "exclude=*tex*" to the
[main] section of /etc/yum.conf

4) Install TeXLive for Unix as per http://www.tug.org/texlive/

This way yum won't update the TeX packages --- otherwise it will (try
to) install TeXLive as a dependency for AUCTeX when doing a regular
update.

Joel
--
Joel J. Adamson