[AUCTeX] AUCTeX indentation does not work

From: Gibson Kurt
Subject: [AUCTeX] AUCTeX indentation does not work
Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2010 15:22:57 -0500

I am new to AUCTeX and after several hours of research cannot get it to indent paragraphs on my system. It is worthless if it will not indent for me. What purpose does it serve if it will not even allow someone to indent code manually? TAB does not even work so I could not even use it to indent manually.

All of the documentation on the web says that AUCTeX automatically indents LaTeX source. Not only is that false, I cannot even get it to allow me to do it manually.

It does not even inherit the formatting or level of the prior section, etc.

I want it to indent something. TAB will not indent anything. Changing the variable LaTeX-indent-line and LaTeX-indent-level seems to have no effect. "M-x auto-fill-buffer" has no effect.

I have a mac with emacs 22.3 installed. I cannot even find documentation to determine whether or not AUCTeX is even running. When I open a LaTeX document the minibuffer banner line says "[(PDFLaTeX/F Fill)]". No mention of auctex.

The following is in the .emacs file:

(add-to-list 'load-path (expand-file-name "/sw/share/emacs22/site- lisp/auctex"))

;;; invoke the AUCTeX package (LaTeX support)
(require 'tex-site)
(setq TeX-auto-save t)
(setq TeX-parse-self t)
(setq-default TeX-master nil)
(load "auctex.el" nil t t)
(load "preview-latex.el" nil t t)

;;; customize AUCTeX
; enable auto fill mode for all docs
(add-hook 'LaTeX-mode-hook 'auto-fill-mode)

I verified that the load path contains AUCTeX files.

Thanks for any comments.