Re: [AUCTeX] forcing view with xdvi

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] forcing view with xdvi
Date: Wed, 04 Nov 2009 20:41:21 +0100

* Matthew Bainbridge (2009-11-04) writes:

> I don't think I'm using PSTricks, but the problem seems to be the psfrag
> package.

Yes, psfrag is "supported" as well.

> But if I comment out the \usepackage line, it uses xdvi.  Do you know if
> it is possible to use psfrag and have xdvi function normally?

The idea is that if you use a package related to Postscript graphics,
you don't want to start a viewer which is not able to display such
graphics.  Under this assumption, starting dvips and gv would be
considered "normal".

If you don't want that, throw out the entries in `TeX-output-view-style'
which check for PSTricks packages and psfrag.  Either programmatically
like you do below or manually with `M-x customize-variable <RET> ...'.

> Maybe there
> is something screwy in my .emacs file.  The relevent part seems to be
> this:
>
>         (TeX-source-specials-mode 1)
>         (setq TeX-source-specials-view-start-server t)
>         ;; Special arguments to put XDVI in the correct place.
>         (setq xdvi-extras
>               (concat "-xoffset .35in -yoffset .4in "
>                       "-s 4 -geometry 1800x1900+0+0"))
>              ;; Add the above arguments to all instances of xdvi
>         (unless (get 'TeX-output-view-style 'xdvi-extra)
>           (mapcar (lambda (list)
>                     (let ((func (nth 2 list)))
>                       (if (string-match "xdvi" func)
>                           (setq func
>                                 (replace-match
>                                  (concat "\\& " xdvi-extras) t nil func)))
>                       (setcar (last list) func)))
>                   TeX-output-view-style)
>           (put 'TeX-output-view-style 'xdvi-extra t))

Wow.