Re: [AUCTeX] Re: Automatically running makeindex

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Re: Automatically running makeindex
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2009 22:11:18 +0200

* Joe Smith (2009-08-29) writes:

> "Ralf Angeli" <address@hidden> wrote in message
>>
>> But perhaps it would be a good idea to finally implement this.  I just
>> need a way to determine when to run makeindex.  It looks like LaTeX
>> writes the idx file on every run, even if the contents will stay the
>> same.  Despite of that I'd like to offer the Index command in AUCTeX
>> only if there was an actual change.  An idea could be to compare md5sums
>> of the file or its size before and after the LaTeX run.
>>

> That is a fairly reasonable way to do it. (The trick is not to forget that
> an index run is needed if something else is also needed).

I'm more concerned about the issue that we don't have a way yet to save
stuff like an md5sum before the LaTeX run.

> In the alternative, I could just use the latexmk script, which is designed
> for the explicit purpose of running all needed commands in the correct
> order. The only downside is that I have no idea how well it works with
> AUCTeX, especially the LaTeX error handling.

Frankly, I've never tried something like latexmk or texify.  An issue is
likely that you can only specify one format for a command to be run in
`TeX-command-list'.  If latexmk forwards all the output of the commands
it runs to stdout, I'd try `TeX-run-TeX'.  This should give you LaTeX
error handling but obviously no BibTeX error handling.