Re: [AUCTeX] Re: I don't understand how to install Auctex

From: Ed C.
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Re: I don't understand how to install Auctex
Date: Wed, 01 Apr 2009 11:07:05 -0600

José Carlos Santos wrote:
On 01-04-2009 15:32, Leo wrote:

You don't really need cygwin to run emacs+AUCTeX etc. In fact there is
precompiled emacs¹ for windows that has AUCTeX in it already, I mean no
extra installation of AUCTeX is needed.

When you have all those external tools (MiKTeX ghostscript etc.)
installed, you need to make sure the executable is in your PATH.

For preview to work in Windows, you also need to set:

;; stick this in your .emacs file
(setq preview-gs-command "C:/Program Files/gs/gs8.63/bin/gswin32c.exe")

Why? I don't have such a line on my .emacs file and everything works
fine. Besides, I see no reference to such a line at the AucTeX manual.

Best regards,

Jose Carlos Santos

You only need this if you want to preview with ghostscript. The op should do M-x cd ~/ ret
Then Menu > File > Visit New File .emacs ret
Copy-paste this into buffer:

(load "auctex.el" nil t t)
(load "preview-latex.el" nil t t)

(setq TeX-auto-save t)
(setq TeX-parse-self t)
(setq-default TeX-master nil)
(add-hook 'LaTeX-mode-hook 'turn-on-reftex)
(setq reftex-plug-into-AUCTeX t)

C-x C-s

Exit Emacs
Re-start Emacs

Also since he is on msw he might want to make a shortcut to runemacs.exe --debug-init with "Start In" set to his most common edit directory.