Re: [AUCTeX] label ref and TeX-master questions

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] label ref and TeX-master questions
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2008 13:48:46 +0100

* François Patte (2008-11-23) writes:

> I have a few questions about auctex:
>
> 1- I use to write my labels in this way:
> \label{title,section-title,topic}
>
> When the mouse is over a ref, the whole command is highlighted and, if
> the mouse is over title, I get this answer: label title unknown (same if
> it is over section-titel or topic).
>
> Is there a way to have auctex reading the complete reference name given?

This is a RefTeX feature, not one of AUCTeX.  The mechanism for
displaying cross-reference information in RefTeX determines the key with
the same function for \ref, \cite, \label, etc.  In \cite you might have
multiple citations separated by comma, therefore the comma is used as a
separator and only part of the keys you use for your labels is found.
While this could probably be changed in RefTeX I am not sure this is a
good idea because there might be LaTeX packages (that I am not aware of)
which allow multiple keys per reference macro.  So a workaround would be
to avoid the comma in labels.

> 2- I defined a mode with dn extension in my .emacs which loads the
> latex-mode; when I open a new file with this dn extension, auctex asks
> for the master file but does not write anything at the end of the buffer
> like it does if I open a new file with the tex extension:
>

> %%% Local Variables:
> %%% mode: latex
> %%% TeX-master: t
> %%% End:
>

> How to correct this.

M-x customize-variable <RET> TeX-one-master <RET>

and extend the regexp to match the .dn extension as well.  So it should
look something like this in the customization buffer:

\.\(texi?\|dtx\|dn\)$

You might also have to customize `TeX-file-extenstions'.