[AUCTeX] Strange things with AUCTeX-CVS toolbar

From: Angelo Graziosi
Subject: [AUCTeX] Strange things with AUCTeX-CVS toolbar
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2008 00:09:34 +0200

I want to flag the following strange things I have observed with current
AUCTeX CVS on Cygwin with Emacs 23, current trunk. (But I think it
happens also on other systems).

The following steps should reproduce the things.

Suppose I load a simple foo.tex file. Then the toolbar shows, besides
the other icons, also

a) Run LaTeX (DVI)
b) Run Viewer (XDVI)
c) Generate PS file
d) Run BibTeX
etc.

Now I type: C-c C-t C-p, and

a) --> Run LaTeX (PDF)
b) --> Run Viewer (XPDF)

c) goes away and d) remains. The menu: 'Command/Texing Options/Generate
PDF files' is selected. All this seems OK.

If, now, I close Emacs (C-x C-c) with save desktop enabled and then
restart Emacs, the file foo.tex is reloaded, the toolbar shows only the
icon a) b) d) for DVI files _BUT_ 'Command/Texing Options/Generate PDF
files' is still selected and cliking 'a) Run LaTeX (DVI)' generates PDF
file not DVI. 'b) Run Viewer (XDVI)' runs xpdf not xdvi!

In my opinion, when I restart Emacs and 'Command/Texing Options/Generate
PDF files' is selected, it should show the right icons, regarding PDF
not DVI.

Alternatively, if when I restart Emacs, it defaults to DVI set of icons,
then 'Command/Texing Options/Generate PDF files' should be DE-selected.

Cheers,
   Angelo.