Re: [AUCTeX] Re: about cdlatex and auctex

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Re: about cdlatex and auctex
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 20:14:41 +0200

Ralf Angeli <address@hidden> writes:

> * xiaopeng hu (2008-08-11) writes:
>
>> I am using emacs+auctex+cdlatex,
>> when I input `a , display \alpha{}, can not display $\alpha$ as you said.
>> ``a don't take effect also.
>> Maybe ` confilits with auctex mode.
>>
>> How to do with it?
>
> This is working fine here.  cdlatex overwrites the AUCTeX binding of `
> which will be bound to `cdlatex-math-symbol'.  Typing `C-h k
> cdlatex-math-symbol <RET>' should show you the binding.
>
> In case the binding is in place, perhaps there is an error in your
> case.  You should be able to generate a backtrace of such an error by
> calling `M-x toggle-debug-on-error <RET>' before typing ` a.  If there
> really is an error you should report it to Carsten.
>
> Unrelated to your problem, but for me quite interesting: after typing
> ` and waiting a second one gets a nice overview of the available math
> macros.  Perhaps something like this would be a nice functionality for
> AUCTeX as well.  And we could combine this with Unicode symbols and
> the possibility to select entries with the mouse.

Emacs-23 to come supports multiple input methods active at one point of
time.  It might be best to wrap this sort of functionality in that way.
If the display/overview of cd-latex is better, then this sounds like
something that should probably be made a general facility of input
methods: I think that most of them could profit from an optional
completion overview.