Re: [AUCTeX] Fold citep

From: Joost Kremers
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Fold citep
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2008 11:49:49 +0200

On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 06:58:45PM +0200, Ralf Angeli wrote:
> > sorry, my question was confusing. what i meant to say was: what happens
> > if the optional argument isn't there, and the user hasn't supplied an
> > *alternative string*?
>
> Then the placeholder would be replaced by an empty string, I guess.

so it's up to the user to make sure that folding doesn't actually make a
LaTeX command disappear altogether? (if i specify "[1]" as replacement
string for \item, and i use \item without any argument, it disappears
completely.)

> > mmm... perhaps i'm not understanding you correctly... isn't this what you
> > get when you supply "*" as the alternative string? i.e. if you specify
> > "[1:*]" as the replacement string?
>
> This would result in "*" for "\item", but "foo" for "\item[foo]".  In
> order to get "foo:" for "\item[foo]" one would need to supply "[1:*]:"
> but this would result in "*:" for "\item".

oh, sorry, i hadn't seen the second colon in your example...

i'm not sure whether this is really a problem. personally, i wouldn't
supply such a colon in the replacement string if the command i'm folding
doesn't actually produce that colon. the reason being that as a general
rule, folding makes the text in the editor appear more like the resulting
dvi/pdf text.

--
Joost Kremers, PhD
University of Frankfurt