[AUCTeX] bibtex abbreviations

From: Tyler Smith
Subject: [AUCTeX] bibtex abbreviations
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 22:15:12 +0000 (UTC)

Hi,

I use a single .bib file for all my papers, with two additional files
containing the details for the journals cited. If I need to use the
full journal name, I call:

\bibliography{fullnames,ty}

and for short names I use:

\bibliography{ab,ty}

My question is related to adding new entries to ty.bib - is there a
way to incorporate the name files so that I don't need to open the
files to find out what the right abbreviation is? For example, if I
need to add a new paper from Acta Botanica Neerlandica, I need to
remember that this is abbreviated as acta_bot_neerl in fullnames.bib
and ab.bib:

@String{acta_bot_neerl = {Acta Botanica Neerlandica}}

My journal files contain 65 journals, about 10 of which I use often
enough to remember, the rest I have to look up when I add entries. Is
there any way to better manage this info with Auctex/Reftex et al.? I
could in some cases use shorter abbreviations, but I run into problems
with multiple journals in my list sharing enough words in their titles
to make unambiguous codes too long to remember when I only use them
a few times a month.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Tyler