Re: [AUCTeX] debugging of multifile documents with TeX-next-error (2)

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] debugging of multifile documents with TeX-next-error (2)
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2007 23:19:46 +0200

* David Kastrup (2007-07-03) writes:

> Ralf Angeli <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> The linebreaks are inserted by pdflatex.  That means the regular
>> expression for matching the "on input line <line>." part would have to
>> be able to deal with linebreaks after _every_ character, which it
>> currently does not.  Does anybody know if the insertion of these
>> linebreaks can be turned off?
>
> Yes, somebody knows.  The answer is no.

No big deal.  Changing the output was not the preferred solution anyway,
once I thought a bit about it.

> The bad news is that TeX will
> break after column 79, no matter what (even if it is in the middle of
> transliterating ^^M).

Where would be the challenge if TeX didn't do such things?

> The good news is that the autobreakage happens
> just there, so one could presumably paste stuff together again
> automatically, unless MakeTeXTFM and friends or what they are called
> intersperse their own output.  But then we are in trouble, anyway.

Hm, but pasting together random stuff will not be trivial.  TeX even
adds a blank after the last character of a line.  I'll check if working
with interspersed occurrences of \s-{0,2} is feasible.  But I have my
doubts it will be.

>> I was rather surprised that my version did not produce an
>> exclamation mark because I thought this was standard behavior.
>
> It was.  Sometimes when I throw a tantrum, things actually get
> changed.

Cool.