Re: [AUCTeX] principal question to preview-latex

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] principal question to preview-latex
Date: Thu, 03 May 2007 17:01:58 +0200

"alexander.beck-ratzka" <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Folks,
>
> I am using XEmacs on Fedora Core 4, and I just wanted to use
> preview-latex, which should be already be provided with XEmacs.

Says who?

> The documentation says, to start a preview, one has to enter:
>
> C-c C-p C-d (for Preview/Document)

Which documentation?  How did you access it?

> However, if I enter C-c C-p I get in the lowest line of XEmacs
> (don't know how it is called, it is the line, where I also see C-c
> C-p) the message:
>
> command not found

Points to preview-latex either not being installed (more likely) or
not being activated for XEmacs.

> Furthermore, I don't have a Preview section in my menubar.
>
> So it seems that preview-latex isn't avaiable, as told in the documentation.
> My XEmacs has the version:
>

> XEmacs 21.4 (patch 19) "Constant Variable" [Lucid]
> (i386-redhat-linux, Mule) of Wed Mar 1 2006 on
> hammer1.fedora.redhat.com
>
> Who can help me, to get preview-latex running?

XEmacs distributes only outdated versions of AUCTeX since they don't
have the manpower to make their distribution policies actually work.

It will probably be easiest to use the package manager for
uninstalling the outdated AUCTeX package XEmacs inflicts upon its
users, and instead install the AUCTeX package for XEmacs available on
the download site of AUCTeX.