Re: [AUCTeX] Re: viewing .pdf file

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Re: viewing .pdf file
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2007 13:30:20 +0100

* Frederic Andres (2007-02-17) writes:

> Well, if I understand correctly, since I use pdflatex, it does not
> create a .dvi file, but a .pdf file, so that I can't use DVI output
> and YAP. Maybe I could try to compile in a different way, bit I
> think it will clash with the packages I use.

Since I don't know which packages you use I cannot comment on that.
Generally, though, PDFTeX can produce DVI output as well.  In fact
PDFTeX is used for both PDF and DVI output in modern TeX systems.

> As to the "installing Emacs on Windows is difficult", I was not
> clear: I didn't mean that the installation process is difficult
> since, as you say it is really easy; however, making it work
> smoothly with windows is another matter. That's what I meant.

Okay.  Emacs is leveraging a lot of tools which are easily available
on UNIX-like systems and which require some effort to get on Windows,
grep and find being one example.  With respect to PDF viewers in
particular it seems that the suppliers don't consider the userbase
requiring a refresh feature large or important enough to implement it.

> As to Linux, I might also try another distribution maybe, but when I
> tried it a few months ago, Ubuntu worked well for me, and was rather
> intuitive. the only downside is the horrible marron and orange
> default colors of Ubuntu :-)

What I wrote applies to any package management system, not just that
of Ubuntu.