[AUCTeX] Re: tex-ref.tex

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: [AUCTeX] Re: tex-ref.tex
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2007 18:07:56 +0100

* David Kastrup (2007-01-21) writes:

>>> How about /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/etc with a .nosearch
>>> in it?
>>
>> It's messy because `site-lisp' does not really suggest that
>> documentation files can be found below it and therefore I'm afraid
>> that people won't find the file there.  Nevertheless it's probably
>> one of the sanest alternatives.
>
> Well, where would they look apart from the AUCTeX directory?

In /usr[/local]/share/doc, I guess.  At least I often look in the
non-local tree if I am searching for documentation.  I don't know how
popular /usr/local/... is, though.

>> My other favorite would be $PREFIX/share/doc/auctex/.  We already
>> install into $PREFIX/share/info/, so why not into `doc' as well?
>
> More common would be $PREFIX/share/doc/auctex-$TAG/, and the problem
> is that installing the next version would not overwrite the last one
> then...

Hm, on my system all of the packages which are installed only in a
single incarnation have directory names without version strings below
/usr/share/doc/.

>> `etc' looks a little bit like "stuff we don't know where to but

s/but/put/

>> else".
>
> Well, fits the "style" directory to a "t", doesn't it?

Is "syle" even a word?

>> As style files are quite intrinsic to AUCTeX, I don't mind that they
>> have a prominent location outside of `etc'.
>
> But they are also stuff that is _internal_ to AUCTeX and should never
> get loaded except by AUCTeX itself.  So site-lisp is not really more
> natural for those...

Nevertheless they are Lisp files.  And the fact that they are internal
to AUCTeX does not qualify for putting them into an obscure place.