Re: [AUCTeX] installing emacs+auctex 2007-01-13

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] installing emacs+auctex 2007-01-13
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 16:25:30 +0100

* juan mari alberdi (2007-01-20) writes:

> I've installed the precompiled emacs+auctex latest version on my
> WindowsXP, and by now it is working fine. It seems that there are new
> bin files in emacs like emacsclientw.exe but I don't know how to use
> them;

They should respond to the --help command line option.

> in the mean time I continue using gnuclientw.exe with MiKTeX. The
> documentation is not 100% OK, for example, in the Emacs main directory
> there are README files that make mention of an INSTALL file that should
> be in that same directory, but it is missing.

Those files were copied from the source directories in order to
provide a bare minimum of information.  Having INSTALL files in that
directory would not be sensible anyway because that _is_ already an
installed directory tree.

> Then I've downloaded the source of emacs+auctex and after extracted the
> files, 3 independent foldes are created, each of them independent from
> the others. The emacs+auctex folder seemed useless.

Well, it contains a Makefile for generating the Emacs+AUCTeX
installation, i.e. for building and installing Emacs and AUCTeX.

> The other two,
> respectively, contained distributions of emacs and auctex, ready to be
> installed.

More like ready to be built.  Those are bare sources.

> In the emacs-22.0.92 folder I've tried to build the emacs 22 editor with
> cygwin: configure.bat seemed had run fine. Then make (not gmake)

nt/INSTALL contains a table with combinations of shell and make
versions working or not working for building Emacs.  That table seems
to suggest that you will be out of luck with Cygwin make.

> insisted asking for .elc files until arrived at the file loaddefs.elc
> which is not in my emacs distribution, I mean, loaddefs.el is not in
> there. What can I do, apart from using the precompiled version?

Above you wrote that the precompiled version is working fine.  So
what's the problem?