Re: [Fwd: Re: [AUCTeX] Problem with Auctex Preview on Fedora]

From: Christophe Farges
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Re: [AUCTeX] Problem with Auctex Preview on Fedora]
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 13:43:26 +0200

Hello,

After some tests, I think that the problem comes from the way that Xemacs encodes texts with accents. I've got 2 computers:
- one on windows with cygwin, Auctex, Xemacs that works fine
- one on Fedora, Auctex Xemacs that has the accents problem.

I made the following tests on each computer:
1) Create a new file on Xemacs
2) Write a very simple latex document using accents from my keyboard and using those packages:
\usepackage[french]{babel}
\usepackage[latin1]{inputenc}
3) Save
4) compile with latex

Everything works fine with the windows pc and I've got accents problem with the fedora pc when visualizing the dvi or ps or pdf (for example, when I type "été" I get something wreid like "@&et@").

BUT if I make:
- steps 1 to 3 on my windows pc
- copy the .tex file on the fedora computer
- modify this file and save again on the fedora computer
- compile with latex on the fedora computer
then it works fine.

That's why I think that the problem comes from the way the Xemacs of Fedora encodes the texts with accents.

Do you know what I could do to make it work fine?

Thanks in advance!
Christophe

Hello again,

Sorry, I made a mistake in my previous mail. I just needed to run
preview for document (and not local preview).

Local previews should also work unless you switch the input encoding
_after_ the preamble (or don't properly declare it, but then not only
previews but also normal operation should be affected).  If you don't,
there is a bug, and it would be good to track it down.