Re: [AUCTeX] Re: TeX-insert-dollar

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Re: TeX-insert-dollar
Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2006 11:12:49 +0200

Ralf Angeli <address@hidden> writes:

> * David Kastrup (2006-06-30) writes:
>
>> So what's people's opinion on $$ completion?  It currently works like
>> this in plain TeX (and also in LaTeX):
>>
>> $$  \sin(x) $$
>> ^type $$    ^type $
>>
>> My idea would be to do at most some drastic syntax highlighting of
>> presumably mismatching pairs, but not balk at inserting them: just
>> accept what the user types and express any displeasure in the
>> highlighting (at most) but nowhere else.
>
> You mean that the feature of inserting two dollar signs upon typing
> `$' be removed from LaTeX mode (but not from plain TeX mode)?

No, I mean that it should be removed from both plain TeX and LaTeX
modes.

> That'd be fine with me.  Perhaps we should even remove syntax
> highlighting for $$..$$ constructs completely in LaTeX mode.

I think that's too harsh, since there are math constructs and stuff
involved.  One could highlight the $$ in a "not good" face, but I am
not sure I am prepared to let our bug report list be flooded with
explanations about what constitutes valid LaTeX and what not.