Re: [AUCTeX] Citation completion

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Citation completion
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2006 16:25:45 +0200

* Chris Mears (2006-06-16) writes:

> I have a problem with citation completion.  I have a bibliography file,
> 'books.bib':
[...]
> and a document 'article.tex':
[...]
> Parsing the tex file (with C-c C-n) gives the variable
> LaTeX-bibliography-list the value
>
>     (("books") nil)
>
> which seems correct.  However, the variable LaTeX-bibitem-list is nil,
> which means that I get no completion for \cite (and \citep etc.)
> commands.

How do you insert \cite?  With `C-c RET cite RET'?  And then you get
an "Add key:" prompt?  And there completion does not list the BibTeX
entry?  If you can answer all of these questions with yes, then this
is normal AFAICS.  Completion in this case only takes into account
\bibitem entries of a `thebibliography' environment.  Admittedly the
description of `TeX-arg-cite' in the manual is misleading here.

May I suggest to use RefTeX for your citations?  You can activate it
by putting
(add-hook 'LaTeX-mode-hook 'turn-on-reftex)
(setq reftex-plug-into-AUCTeX t)
into your init file.  See (info "(reftex)Installation") and
(info "(reftex)AUCTeX") for more information.  Once you restarte Emacs
you can insert citations with `C-c ['.

In case I am totally wrong with my assumptions, please provide more
information about which commands you are calling and what your setup
looks like.