[AUCTeX] Re: Trailing whitespace and RET

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: [AUCTeX] Re: Trailing whitespace and RET
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 11:11:43 +0100

* Uwe Siart (2006-03-17) writes:

> I found that AUCTeX eats up trailing whitespace in the current line
> after pressing RET. In case this is a wanted behaviour: Can it be
> customized if it was undesired?
>
> 'TeX-newline-function' is the only function I found to deal with the
> behaviour of RET. But as I understand it affects indentation, not
> trailing whitespace.
>
> My AUCTeX version is 2006-03-14 and the value of 'TeX-newline-function'
> is 'newline-and-indent'.

Whitespace deletion in `newline-and-indent' cannot be customized.

It could be considered a bug that this deletion is not documented.
And the stanza

,----[ (info "(emacs)Basic Indent") ]
|    When entering lines of new code, use `C-j' (`newline-and-indent'),
| which is equivalent to <RET> followed by <TAB>.  `C-j' at the end of a
| line creates a blank line and then gives it the appropriate indentation.
`----

in the Emacs manual is obviously wrong.

Could you please send a bug report to emacs-pretest-bug?

Regarding your problem: You could write your own function doing what
`newline-and-indent' does without eating whitespace.  Just copy its
definition, change the name, remove the call to
`delete-horizontal-space', save it in your init file and specify it as
the function to be used with `TeX-newline'.