Re: [AUCTeX] Creating ps and pdf files

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Creating ps and pdf files
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 11:42:50 +0100

* David Scott (2006-01-15) writes:

> I worked out the .bat file idea myself and have nearly got it. For example
> here is my .bat to process prosper files:
>
> latex %1

What do you do if your document has errors or requires more than one
LaTeX run, or a BibTeX run, or ...?  You are probably looking for
something like rubber (<URL:http://rubber.sf.net/>) or latexmk
(<URL:http://www.phys.psu.edu/~collins/software/latexmk-jcc/>).

> dvips -o %1.ps %1.dvi
> ps2pdf12.bat %1.ps %1.pdf
> AcroRd32 %1.pdf
>
> which works fine except for the last line. I can't get acroread to fire
> up. Maybe it is to do with the locking that you mention. If I can get over
> that I will be very happy.

I cannot imagine that anybody really wants to start such a monster as
Adobe Reader on every LaTeX run.  If you search on Google Groups you
might find some DDE commands for closing and opening the current
document in Adobe Reader.  But frankly, this is just a poor substitute
for viewers able to update the display of a file automatically when
the file changes (xdvi for DVI or gv for PS and PDF) or at least by
just hitting a single key (xpdf for PDF).  By the way, the development
version of AUCTeX now starts xpdf in server mode.  That means after
compiling your document with pdflatex you can update the document in
the viewer and bring the viewer window to front simply by typing `C-c
C-v'.