Re: [AUCTeX] preview background

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] preview background
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 14:33:02 +0100

Jan-Ake Larsson <address@hidden> writes:

> David Kastrup wrote:
>> And honestly: what do you expect short of magic?  If your color scheme
>> is different on paper and in the editor, there is not too much one can
>> hope for.  We get the basic text case without color changes catered
>> for.
>
> I'd like to add that I think that white-on-black mathematics look
> terrible. Especially as a preview, white-on-black onscreen and
> black-on-white onwhatever give very different visual impressions.

I find that even pink on green or similar works quite better than
white-on-black.  So maybe this is a problem with the suitability of
rendering/antialiasing/gamma correction mechanisms and could be
improved to a point where it is tolerable.

> Determining the "good" format of this-and-that expression is useless
> in white-on-black since the looks are completely different when
> inverted. preview-latex is one of the (good!) reasons I changed to
> black-on-white in emacs years ago.

Well, I guess at the time you changed, white-on-black really was not
supported by preview-latex at all.  But the problem remains that
preview-latex, after all, is a WYSIWYG tool, and large departures from
the paper look are not easy to reconcile on the screen.

I think we do a reasonable job.  A more thorough possibility would be
to do this with color transfer functions, but frankly, how do you then
convert a color pie chart from black-on-white to pink-on-green?  Where
does red go?