[AUCTeX] Re: Enabling pdftex and pdflatex

From: David Kastrup
Subject: [AUCTeX] Re: Enabling pdftex and pdflatex
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 15:16:06 +0100

Art Werschulz <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi.
>
> When using AUCTeX, I don't seem to find entries for pdftex or
> pdflatex in the menus.  Moreover, I can't type in "pdftex" or
> "pdflatex" in the minibuffer when I use the TeX-command-master (C-c C-
> c) command.
>
> How can I get AUCTeX to recognize pdftex and pdflatex?

AUCTeX supports PDFTeX with a separate mode starting with AUCTeX 11.50
(the current version is 11.82).  It is kind of surprising that while
we mention TeX-source-specials-mode in the doc/changes.texi file,
TeX-PDF-mode is not deemed worth mentioning there.  Probably an
oversight.

>From the manual:

(info "(auctex) Commands")

 -- Command: TeX-PDF-mode
     (`C-c C-t C-p') This command toggles the PDF mode of AUCTeX, a
     buffer-local minor mode.  You can customize `TeX-PDF-mode' to give
     it a different default.  The default is used when AUCTeX does not
     have additional clue about what a document might want.  This
     option usually results in calling either PDFTeX or ordinary TeX.

Take a look at the Command/TeXing Options menu, too.

Oh, and please report problems with

M-x TeX-submit-bug-report RET

so that we get the required version information for figuring out what
exactly might be available at your site, and what system-specific
problems might occur.