Re: [AUCTeX] Indenting behavior

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Indenting behavior
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 01:19:20 +0200

David Arnold <address@hidden> writes:

>>> I hope the indentation shows in this post. I was hoping for:
>>>
>>> \begin{exercise}*Consider the functions
>>>    $$f(x)=x^2-2x-3\qquad\text{and}\qquad g(x)=3x-4$$
>>>    and answer each of the questions that follow.
>>>
>>>    \begin{parts}[2]
>>>      \item $f(-3)$ &
>>>      \item $g(4)$ \\
>>>      \item $f(g(a))$ &
>>>      \item $g(f(a))$\\
>>>    \end{parts}
>>>
>>> \end{exercise}
>>>
>>> Any thoughts, fixes, addenda?
>>>

>> $$...$$ is not a LaTeX construct, and use
>
> Here are you referring to:
>
> $$f(x)=x^2-2x-3\qquad\text{and}\qquad g(x)=3x-4$$
>
> And are you implying that this could interfere with the indenting
> scheme of Auctex?

No, I am implying that this could interfere with the formatting of
LaTeX.  You won't find $$ in any reputable LaTeX reference, and for
good reason.

>> M-x customize-variable RET LaTeX-item-indent RET
>>
>> if you are not happy about the default indentation of \item.
>
> OK, looked at this and found a -2 there. I imagine that changing this
> will increase the amount of indentation. But, I'm fine with the
> current amount of indentation.

So what are you complaining about then?

> Is the default behavior of the auctex indentation machine to indent
> all commands within a
>
> \begin{something}
> \end{something}
>
> to the same column as the \ and all text two spaces to the right of
> the slash?

No.  It indents by

LaTeX-indent-level is a variable defined in `latex'.
Its value is 2

Documentation:
*Indentation of begin-end blocks in LaTeX.

You can customize this variable.

[back]

but item statements are separately indented by

LaTeX-item-indent is a variable defined in `latex'.
Its value is -2

Documentation:
*Extra indentation for lines beginning with an item.