Re: [AUCTeX] add to a key stroke: texify --tex-opt=--src --quiet %t"

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] add to a key stroke: texify --tex-opt=--src --quiet %t"
Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2005 19:38:44 +0200

"Stefan Pofahl" <address@hidden> writes:

> On 5 Sep 2005 at 14:44, Ralf Angeli wrote:
>> It expects the symbol of a function returning a file name.  You
>> cannot throw random garbage at it.
> What do you mean by random garbage?

%t

> I'm just looking for a symbol of a function that returns the propper
> filename depending on my selection in the auctex-context-menu:
> running the master-file or the buffer/region with the next latex-run.

At last you say how you want to control the whole thing.  (I suppose
with "auctex-context-menu" you mean the Command menu.)

Well, you may have noticed that your command is picking up the the
selected option if invoked from the menu.  So you could abuse the
function used when calling a command from the menu.  That means
(TeX-command-menu "Texify")
should do what you want.

>> > Why can I not use the placeholder %t?
>>
>> "%t" is used in strings which are parsed by `TeX-command-expand' and
>> the related machinery.  It has no meaning outside of such context.
>>
> %t gives the correct output, it is either master.tex or _region_.tex,
> depending on my selection in the context menu.

Yes, but you still cannot use it as a variable, symbol or function.

> Is it perhaps possible to make use of the boolean variable:
> `TeX-current-process-region-p', defined in tex-buf.el?

Probably, but that won't give you `TeX-command-buffer' functionality.