Re: [AUCTeX] Missing sub/superscripts intermittent

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Missing sub/superscripts intermittent
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 10:26:47 +0200

* Alex Stark (2005-08-22) writes:

> When, in the example that follows,
>     \mat{A}^{-1} & -\mat{A}^{-1}\mat{B} \\
> is two-colour ("&" and "\\" are different),

I've never seen something like this.  When does it happen?

> subscripts display
> correctly.  When \mat is in one colour and {A} in another,

You mean when there is no enclosing math environment, I suppose.

> the sub/sup
> appear as empty boxes (missing font).  However, if the mouse is used
> to select a region, scripts in the region (re)appear in all cases.

> test example, it is necessary to cut, reload, paste, and then wait for
> some re-highlighting for the effect to appear.

I cannot reproduce this with a current CVS AUCTeX and a vanilla Emacs
21.4 or a CVS Emacs on Debian/sid.  It looks like your font setup is
broken somehow.

> System: Ubuntu + emacs21 + auctex
>
> Startup message:
> Unable to load font
> -misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--11-81-100-100-c-0-iso8859-1 [4 times]

This error undermines the suspicion.

Did you alter the font setup in your init file?  If so, you could try
without those changes and see if the problems go away.  Otherwise it
may be a problem with the Emacs shipped with Ubuntu or the X server.

> Package: AUCTeX 11.53

That's outdated.  11.55 is current.