Re: [AUCTeX] questions on "Tex region" for multifile

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] questions on "Tex region" for multifile
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 18:32:24 +0200

Ralf Angeli <address@hidden> writes:

> * David Kastrup (2005-07-20) writes:
>
>> Well, the whole point of syntactic-comments is that the comments _are_
>> normal LaTeX constructs.  In fact, in a .dtx file I'd expect magic
>> quotes to be much more useful _in_ comments rather than in the code
>> they surround, as the uncommented stuff is code, and the commented
>> stuff is a descriptive document.
>
> Automatic quote replacement still works in documentation sections of
> dtx files.

You got me lost there.  What else is LaTeX-syntactic-comments supposed
to be about?

> Turning that off in code sections shouldn't be too difficult.

I don't think it is worth the bother.  We don't turn the code into
verbatim all around, anyway (though I'd wish that if we do
indent-region or fill-region, that coming across
%    \begin{macrocode}
is considered as introducing verbatim until
%    \end{macrocode}
is encountered.  While I'd want normal LaTeX-mode to hold for editing
purposes inside of the environment.

In short: I ultimately want indent-region and fill-region _not_ to be
formatting.  Could also speed up matters instead of looking through
the document for current-environment all the time.

Of course, this is not actually useful in the context of quote
insertion: when we are typing the quote character, there is no context
from preceding comments, and so the location would not considered
verbatim-like.