[AUCTeX] Problem with quotation marks

From: José Carlos Santos
Subject: [AUCTeX] Problem with quotation marks
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 17:07:19 +0100

Hi all,

Consider the following LaTeX file:

\documentclass[a4paper]{article}
\begin{document}
Something. $a^\pi$
\end{document}

I work under Windows XP with GNU Emacs 22.0 (the precompiled CVS Emacs
for Windows from http://www.crasseux.com/emacs/) and auctex 11.55. When
I look at the file above, the commands "\documentclass", "\begin" and
"\end" are purple, "[a4paper]" is light brown, the words "document" and
"article" are blue and "$a^\pi$" is in dark brown; furthermore, the
sequence of characters "\pi" is in superscript and in a smaller size
than usual. Of course, the sentence «Something.» is in black. OK, I like
that.

The problem is that I'm portuguese and I use french quotation marks (I
like to call them latin quotation marks) in my texts. I have them on
my keyboard. However, if, in text from above, I write the word
"Something" within these quotation marks (that is, "«Something»"), then
I have a problem. The sequence "\end{document}" becomes black and the
sequence of characters "\pi" is neither in superscript nor in a smaller
size than usual anymore.

Is this a bug? I've noticed that the problem disappears if I don't use
auctex.

Best regards,

Jose Carlos Santos