[AUCTeX] Failure to install AUCTeX under Windows XT

From: Richard Upward
Subject: [AUCTeX] Failure to install AUCTeX under Windows XT
Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 15:05:45 +0100

I have used AUCTeX under Windows 98/2000 successfully for several years and it
is a great package.  But I am struggling to install AUCTeX 11.55 under Emacs
21.3 on my new Windows XP machine.  I think perhaps the installation procedure
has become more complicated?

I have installed Emacs and the MSYS program (successfully, I think).  I have
downloaded and unpacked the auctex-11.53 files to the c:/temp directory.

I then typed this in the MSYS shell:

$ ./configure --prefix="c:/Program Files/emacs-21.3" --with-emacs="c:/Program
Files/emacs-21.3/bin/runemacs.exe"

and I get the following message:

checking for a BSD-compatible install... /bin/install -c
checking for c:/Program... c:/Program Files/emacs-21.3/bin/runemacs.exe
checking if c:/Program Files/emacs-21.3/bin/runemacs.exe is XEmacs... cat:
./conftest-2440: No such file or directory
configure: error: Unable to run c:/Program Files/emacs-21.3/bin/runemacs.exe!
Aborting!
--

I have tried various different commands, each time altering the value of
"with-emacs" but to no success.  I have checked that runemacs.exe is definitely

Can you shed any light on what is going wrong?  Sorry to bother you and thanks
for your time.

Richard

Richard Upward
School of Economics