[AUCTeX] TEXINPUTS as local variable

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: [AUCTeX] TEXINPUTS as local variable
Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 10:07:09 +0200

Hi people,

Maybe I have overlooked something in the manual, but I didn't find the
right way to teach AUC-TeX about local TEXINPUTS (and BIBINPUTS etc.)
extensions.

I work on several "packages" of LaTeX documents that have
subdirectories (as in a regular source package), and some specific
directories similar to an include/ where TeX extensions are stored.
>From my Makefile.am, it's easy to cope with this:

TEXI2PDF = texi2dvi --pdf
AM_TEXI2PDFFLAGS = -I $(srcdir) -I .. -I $(top_srcdir)/common
#                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
TEXI2PDFFLAGS = -b
%.pdf: %.tex
        $(TEXI2PDF) $(AM_TEXI2PDFFLAGS) $(TEXI2PDFFLAGS) $< -o $@

that does it perfectly for BIBINPUTS BSTINPUTS INDEXSTYLE TEXINPUTS
that texi2dvi updates with the -I passed as argument.

But how am I expected to do that in AUC-TeX?  I thought
TeX-style-local might be the answer, but I probably misunderstood its
point.  Currently I have this in my files:

%%% Local Variables:
%%% eval: (setenv "TEXINPUTS" "../common:$TEXINPUTS::")

and so forth for the others.  But that's bad:

- inner $TEXINPUTS is not expanded
- the changes are global, not local
- therefore when I open another such file, TEXINPUTS etc. keep on
  growing.

But if I don't do that, AUC-TeX's compile commands are useless as it
doesn't find the files I refer to.

Thanks!