Re: [AUCTeX] Re: Scrolling using scroll wheel on Xemacs

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Re: Scrolling using scroll wheel on Xemacs
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 23:48:28 +0200

Surendra Singhi <address@hidden> writes:

> David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Surendra Singhi <address@hidden> writes:

>>> I assume, they already know about it, so no use doing a bug report.
>>
>> If they knew about it, they'd probably have fixed it.  Also it is
>> important to report problems one encounters so that the number of
>> reports is in some relation with the number of times people experience
>> the problem: a bug reported only once is not likely to receive much
>> attention.
>
> OK, i will do a bug report.

Thanks.

>>> Show a splash screen containing information about Auctex _version_
>>> _no._, links to auctex website, mailing lists, copyright
>>> information, etc.
>>
>> There is already a link "Read the AUCTeX manual" which contains all of
>> that information and more.
>>
> The AUCTeX manual says that "this file documents AUCTeX version
> 11.55.".

Which is correct.

> My XEmacs package index shows
>  AUCTeX          1.46   1.46   Basic TeX/LaTeX support.
>
> and the variable
> `AUCTeX-version' is a variable declared in Lisp.
>   -- loaded from "tex"
>
> Value: "CVS-1.13"

Which shows that the XEmacs packager has not yet figured out how to do
things correctly for this version.  This is likely to get fixed with
the next version.  In the long run, we might try to provide XEmacs
packages directly, bypassing most of the XEmacs-internal procedures
likely to introduce errors like that.  We will not have this for
11.80, I guess.

> I was confused about my AUCTeX version number, and thats why I
> suggested for an "About" menu option which shows up to date value of
> this information.

It would have shown CVS-1.13 in this case, which is completely and
utterly wrong.  So if we had provided such a command, it would not
have helped.

> The manual may still belong to an older version.
>
> Generally for many program, there is a separation of manual and the
> installed program; what I mean is that the installed program may be
> much newer version but the manual might be a very old version.

AUCTeX comes with an included manual, and for anything but a broken
installation, the manual version and AUCTeX-version will coincide.

> Also, if there is a change of mailing list address and other
> addresses the about box being internal to the program may indicate
> that but, the manual being an older version may not show the changed
> information.

The manual in the AUCTeX distribution is kept in synch with AUCTeX.
Only with a broken installation (like manual shadowings differing from
load-path shadowings) can they start to diverge.  I am not saying that
we should not possibly try to make the version more visible somewhere:
it actually is mentioned in a tooltip menu help for that reason on
Emacs, something which XEmacs is unable to provide.  I just don't
think we don't want an extra menu entry just for that.