Re: [can't compile the main branch]: SOLVED

From: Uwe Brauer
Subject: Re: [can't compile the main branch]: SOLVED
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2024 08:25:26 +0200

>>> "AE" == Arash Esbati <arash@gnu.org> writes:

>>> AFAIU, using `update-file-autoloads' again means keeping track of all
>>> AUCTeX files in the new GNUmakefile, or is there a better solution?
>>
>> You should be able to use `update-directory-autoloads`.
>> It's a bit more cumbersome to use than `loaddefs-generate` but other
>> than that it should be OK.

> I think `make-directory-autoloads' would be even easier, but it was
> introduced with 28.1, and we currently support 27.1, sigh!  I think I
> can solve it with the patch below.

> @Uwe: Can you please apply this to a clean main branch and run make?
> This change contains what Stefan sent, but I don't think it can take
> care of your Mercurial setup, try it in a real Git repo.  It should at
> least cater for your Emacs version.  Thanks.

First of all thanks Arash, that might have been a bit complicated. I
appreciate it.

I was late yesterday night, so since Tassilo already applied the patch,

* From my git clone

I pulled
and run using my <29.1:

time make -j8

    1. It compiled, there were some errors about functions not to be
       known. Shall I send these byte compilation errors?

    2. It was in my opinion *considerably* slower then the compilation
       of the master branch: result time make -j8:
       69.088u 25.540s 1:20.66 365.2% 0+0k 1040+8448io 0pf+0w

I also tried my freshly compiled emacs (commit 1d4e90341782)

time make -j8

Result

266.200u 26.156s 1:19.10 369.5% 0+0k 39576+8472io 72pf+0w

* From my hg-git clone

Basically the same result.
Great thanks a lot now I am back into business
BTW: I tried to apply Stefan's patch yesterday,
to my hg-git repository but it did not work 😳
so Tassilo applied the patch correct

* Finally:

I know I already asked this but can't we have both make processes.

Thanks to all of you for patiently listing to my complains and solving the
issue.

Uwe

--
I strongly condemn Hamas heinous despicable pogroms/atrocities on Israel
I strongly condemn Putin's war of aggression against Ukraine.