Re: Supporting LatexMK in AUCTeX OOTB

From: Ikumi Keita
Subject: Re: Supporting LatexMK in AUCTeX OOTB
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2024 01:23:01 +0900

Hi Arash,

>> AUCTeX users can deginate latex binary file names through
>> `TeX-engine-alist' and `LaTeX-command', which can be different from
>> standard "latex", "xelatex" and "lualatex".  If we are to support such
>> non-standard binary names, we need %l.  (However, maybe this isn't much
>> meaningful because fixed binary names of "latexmk" and "dvipdfmx" after
>> all in my patch. :-))

> So the question is: What is the best course of action?  I have no
> problems with %l, but breaking Windows compatibility is bad.

I realized that %l played an important role for Japanese LaTeX document,
too; it gave latex binary name such as "platex" as well as its
supplementary option such as "-kanji=xxx".
However, I haven't come up with a good solution which is compatible for
both windows and non-windows with respect to quoting. :-(

I concluded that AUCTeX should incorporate your simple proposal and
users who need other non-default options, e.g. Japanese latex binary
names, should prepare their own config file such as .latexmkrc.

It isn't a literal "OOB" solution, but I think it is the most practical
approach and is user-friendly enough. :-)

Regards,
Ikumi Keita
#StandWithUkraine #StopWarInUkraine
#Gaza #StopMassiveKilling #CeasefireNOW