Re: [Announcement] Feature branch merged

From: Arash Esbati
Subject: Re: [Announcement] Feature branch merged
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2024 11:49:15 +0100

Hi Keita,

Ikumi Keita <ikumi@ikumi.que.jp> writes:

> That would blow away other entries in `major-mode-remap-alist'. I think
> it should be
> (setq major-mode-remap-alist
>       (delete '(latex-mode . LaTeX-mode) major-mode-remap-alist))
> instead.

This is actually what I meant; I was thinking about setting the
variable manually.

> Hmm, your point is that users should have alternative way to have
> control over which mode is to be activated? Then I'm fine with it,
> though it hardly makes difference from customizing `TeX-modes' actually.
> (The above code is essentially what `TeX-modes-set' does according to
> `TeX-modes' value.)

I'm contemplating the possibilities, actually.  If we agree that
`TeX-modes' is the best way to control AUCTeX's behavior, fine with me.
We should then document it better, `TeX-modes' is currently somewhat
underrepresented in the manual, IMO.

At any rate, I think we should make a new ELPA release and see what
users say about the change.

@Tassilo: Can you please change the line:

;; Package-Requires: ((emacs "26.1"))

;; Package-Requires: ((emacs "27.1"))

in auctex.el on ELPA and make a new release?  TIA.

Best, Arash