Re: AUCTeX and "builtin latex mode" integration

From: Hongyi Zhao
Subject: Re: AUCTeX and "builtin latex mode" integration
Date: Mon, 8 May 2023 19:52:35 +0800

On Mon, May 8, 2023 at 6:45 PM Arash Esbati <arash@gnu.org> wrote:

> Ikumi Keita <ikumi@ikumi.que.jp> writes:
>
> > I attach a tentative patch to make AUCTeX major mode names not overwrap
> > built-in TeX modes. In this patch, the new mode names (value of
> > `major-mode') are
> >  - plain-TeX-mode
> >  - LaTeX-mode
> >  - docTeX-mode
> >  - Texinfo-mode
> >  - ConTeXt-mode
> >  - AmSTeX-mode
> > (There are additional renamed modes
> >    + japanese-plain-TeX-mode
> >    + japanese-LaTeX-mode
> >    + ConTeXt-en-mode
> >    + ConTeXt-nl-mode
> >  but they don't have their own `major-mode' value.
> > The name and role of `TeX-tex-mode' doesn't change.)
>
> Thanks for working on this, Keita.  I have to re-read the thread, but
> wasn't a point also that latex-mode and LaTeX-mode are also confusing to
> some users?  If so, can we think about coming up with mode names instead
> of camel-case'ing the built-in ones?

In fact, the latex-mode and LaTeX-mode are both the valid modes names
referred in the Emacs reftex manual:

(add-hook 'LaTeX-mode-hook 'turn-on-reftex)   ; with AUCTeX LaTeX mode
(add-hook 'latex-mode-hook 'turn-on-reftex)   ; with Emacs latex mode

[1] https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/reftex/Installation.html

Best,
Zhao