Re: Environment optional argument defect

From: Ikumi Keita
Subject: Re: Environment optional argument defect
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2022 00:27:05 +0900

Hi Arash,

>> (We read
>> ,----
>> |   ;; When called with a prefix (C-u), only ask for mandatory arguments,
>> |   ;; i.e. all optional arguments are skipped.  See `TeX-parse-arguments'
>> for
>> |   ;; details.  Note that this behavior may be changed in favor of a more
>> |   ;; flexible solution in the future, therefore we don't document it at the
>> |   ;; moment.
>> `----
>> in the defun of `TeX-insert-macro'. Maybe now is the "future" mentioned
>> there.)

> I think this is "future past" ;-)  AUCTeX manual says this[1]

>   User Option: TeX-insert-macro-default-style

>       Specifies whether TeX-insert-macro will ask for all optional arguments.

>       If set to the symbol show-optional-args, TeX-insert-macro asks for
>       optional arguments of TeX marcos, unless the previous optional
>       argument has been rejected. If set to show-all-optional-args,
>       TeX-insert-macro asks for all optional
>       arguments. mandatory-args-only, TeX-insert-macro asks only for
>       mandatory arguments. When TeX-insert-macro is called with prefix
>       argument (C-u), it’s the other way round.

> So the comment above doesn't apply anymore.

My concern is more on the phrase "in favor of a more flexible solution" 😉
In my opinion, the current facility provided by
`TeX-insert-macro-default-style' is still kind of awkward and I hope
smarter solution.

>> Does anyone come up with good ideas?

> Would it make sense to say:

>   • C-u C-c C-e modifies the document
>   • C-u C-u C-c C-e toggles the arguments query

> ?

Yes, it's another feasible treatment. However, a more uniform usage of
C-u is desirable. (C-u C-c C-m uses C-u once, while C-u C-u C-c C-e
does twice.)

Well, I might be asking too much, of course.

Regards,
Ikumi Keita
#StandWithUkraine #StopWarInUkraine